Are you an emerging artist looking for community in Houston? If you would like to explore the local art scene with fellow makers, consider applying for the micro-residency program. Offered by post-studio projects, this low-commitment program will take place from June to December 2016.
What can I expect at meetings?
We will have a variety of activities prepared, so meetings will vary from week to week. Please expect:
- Guest speakers: Established artists, curators and arts administrators will travel to post-studio projects to share their work and answer questions.
- Gallery Visits: Trips to galleries and museums.
- Critiques: Meetings with guest speakers to get feedback about your work.
- Readings: Discussions of art readings.
- Work Time: Free time to sketch and make work with fellow artists.
- Exhibition Planning: Meetings to plan our group exhibition.
- Fundraising: Some fundraising activities will be expected to help support our end of year exhibition.
When will we meet?
Please expect to meet twice a month on Sunday afternoons from June – November 2016. In December, we will show our work in a group exhibition. We will also have the occasional non-Sunday meeting for gallery visits and fundraising.
Where will we meet?
Most meetings will take place at post-studio projects with some trips to Houston art venues. post studio is located in East Downtown Houston.
Who is the ideal candidate for this program?
Any artist or craftsperson is welcome to join; however, the program will be most beneficial for recent graduates looking to push their practice. Past participants have enrolled in MFA programs, completed the Lawndale studio artist program and shown their work in Houston art venues.
Will I have access to the post studio projects laser cutting machine?
Participants will be given the option to participate in the Laser Cutting Basics workshop, but this will not be the focus of the program. Participants are welcome to purchase a laser cutting membership at their discretion.
How much will it cost to participate?
The fee to participate is $50, which will support operating costs of the program. Please plan to bring your payment to our first meeting.
How can I apply?
Please fill out the application by Friday, May 2oth 2016. Accepted applicants will be contacted by Sunday, May 22nd. If you are selected for this program, please plan to attend our first two meetings on June 5th and June 12th.
For questions, please email Elaine Kuckertz at: email@example.com.